Thursday, December 11, 2008

Workout Woes

Whoever said ‘no pain, no gain’ was obviously a masochist. I recently started attending a local fitness center and have been utilizing a personal trainer. My usual trainer moved on to bigger and better things, forcing me to go on a blind date yesterday morning.

I arrived at our scheduled appointment a few minutes early, introduced myself, and went through the usual small talk about my goals and what I was expecting from this relationship. I expressed to him that I was not experienced in these matters and was looking to take it slow at first. He nodded in agreement and proceeded to get right down to business.

About five minutes into our date I was ready to call it quits. Although he was a pleasant young man and I enjoyed our conversation, I was beginning to feel quite uncomfortable physically and wasn’t sure I’d be able to last the entire length of our agreed upon time together. During our small talk I discovered that he was an ex-marine. Immediately, I thought to myself, “I should have asked more questions about his background before I agreed to this meeting.” He is the third ex-marine I have spent similar such time with. The last of which made me do so many sit ups that for days afterwards, it literally hurt me to breathe.

After our scheduled session was over, I thanked him and politely let him know that I would not be seeing him anymore. I left the fitness center not being able to feel my legs, but grateful that I was not in any pain. The rest of the afternoon, I found myself grasping the railing each time I walked up or down stairs for fear of my legs collapsing out from beneath me. Last night I was unable to attend my church’s mid-week meeting because in my weakened state I didn’t think I would be able to hold the gas pedal down long enough to drive over there, let alone stand for praise and worship. Fortunately, this morning I was stiff and not in too much pain, but I’m afraid the pain is just starting to settle in.

So what have I learned from my blind dating experience? Always ask background questions before you agree to a date. Marines have a different attitude about what constitutes a good date. Be aware that marines will expect more from you. Pray for our marines because if their preparation is only half as challenging as how they trained me, I can only imagine what wartime is like. And pray for me...that I will be able to walk tomorrow.

3 comments:

Mama Jenn said...

Oh no!!! Hopefully the soreness will go away soon!!!

Kimmie said...

Laughing to hard to comment Diana. Of course I am not laughing that you can't walk...did you join the new gym that just opened? I have a membership there, but honestly I hardly go, which would explain the current state of 'me bum.' (me bum is what my kids all call their backside, ...very British indeed!)

sending a hug;
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Diana said...

I transferred my LA Fitness membership to here. I heard about the new gym and might check it out.