Saturday, December 27, 2008

Maybe Tamales Aren’t So Bad After All

Today I had the good fortune to travel to New York City to meet with some dear friends from San Diego, AJ and DB, who were visiting their daughter, JB for the holidays. JB took us to one of her favorite Venezuelan restaurants called Caracas and we enjoyed a variety of good food, none of which I could pronounce or remember the name of. Everything we ate was wonderfully delicious and the wait staff was friendly and attentive. I thoroughly enjoyed this culinary experience along with being in the company of great friends.

One of our appetizers (again, I have no idea what the name of it was) consisted of little balls of dough stuffed with hot cheese. The appetizer arrived at our table in a cornhusk lined bowl containing a mound of these tasty treats. JB gave us detailed instructions on how to spread the dough balls open to cool them off , where to squeeze on the mysterious Venezuelan yellow sauce and when to dab them in a tasty white dipping sauce before popping them into our mouths. The appetizer was very tasty indeed and I was thankful for her instructions which allowed me to experience the full flavor of the scrumptious delight.

After we polished off the dough balls, I innocently asked, “Who’s going to eat the cornhusk?” To which AJ replied, “you don’t eat the cornhusk, that would be like eating the cornhusk off a tamale.” My response was “oh, you’re not supposed to eat the corn husk? That would probably explain why I really, really don’t like tamales.” AJ gave me one of those quizzical looks. You know the one that tries to decipher whether or not you’re telling the truth. I assured her that I do in fact eat the cornhusk and do not care for the taste or texture of it and can never understand why anyone would think tamales taste good. AJ immediately erupted into hysterical laughter while her husband DB gave me a brief explanation on how the cornhusk is used to hold the tamales together during the cooking process.

Now, a lot of people have seen me attempt to eat tamales over the years and you would think at least one of them would have had the courtesy to tell me that the corn husk is just a wrapper and not to eat it. So, maybe tamales aren’t so bad after all? You can be sure that the next time I’m in San Diego, I’ll go out for tamales with AJ and DB just to see what they’re really supposed to taste like.

Thank you AJ, DB and JB for a wonderful afternoon in NYC and for educating me. JB, you’re a gracious host and I’m glad I got to spend some time with you along with your folks. Your appetizer instructions were great, where were you when I attempted to eat my first tamale?

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who it didn't occur to to eat a tamale in any other form other than 'as is'? Generally, mexican food doesn't have to be unwrapped, unless of course, you eat at Taco Bell in which case everything needs to be unwrapped before eating. BTW, if you decide to eat a tamale with the cornhusk still attached, adding lots of salsa will not improve the taste.

6 comments:

Mrs Desh said...

Hilarious! I promise that if you'd ever eaten a tamale in front of me, I would've helped you out. Don't feel bad. No one was around to help me when I had my first mango. Yeah, I love mango, but the skin is terrible! San Diego is a lot less fun without you around for a good laugh. Lots of love.

Diana said...

Thanks Betty. I miss you guys so much.

Unknown said...

There really is only one thing to say - only you, Di.

Gigi said...

DUDE! LMAO at work and people don't understand why. I feel the need to mail overnight you some tamales so you may begin enjoying. Seriously no one ever told you anything?! What a bunch of losers. The other question that comes to mind is, didn't you notice averyone around you was eating them without the husk? Just saying. Next time you're in San Diego I'll take you to eat tamales in hood, Barrio Logan. You know where Chicano Park is? The painted area under the 5 and Coronado bridge? Gracias por la hacerme reir D.

Diana said...

Honestly, I never paid attention to how others were eating their tamales. It's been a really long time since I've even attempted to eat one...hopefully I'm not scarred for life and will be able to get past the cornhusk memory. I'll definitely take you up on hood tamales.

thecoach said...

OMG! Di you are a blast! I'm sorry I didn't take my best friend to eat tamales when you were here in San Diego! Please be careful next time you attempt to eat mexican food.