Friday, June 19, 2009

Snake Repellant

In addition to being a freak magnet, I am a natural repeller of snakes. St. Patrick also had this gifting and I consider it to be an honor to be in the same league as him. Since I don’t particularly care for snakes, I’m really glad God has blessed me with this gift.

In all the years I hiked and biked on the trails in the southwest, I never encountered a rattlesnake despite the numerous warnings. In fact, if you’re worried about running into a snake, ask me to join you in your outdoor adventure and it’s guaranteed you won’t see one.


Despite my dislike for snakes, I did attend the Rattlesnake Roundup in Brownwood, Texas a few years ago. It’s a bizarre event where insane cowboys get into a cage full of rattlesnakes and see how many they can put in a bag in the allotted time period. Truthfully, I wasn’t interested in the snakes as much as wanting to answer the question “Do snakes really taste like chicken?” To my dismay there were no snake kabobs or snake anything to eat.


Honestly, snakes are something I never think to be worried about coming into contact with since I know I’m a natural repellant. Last week I was pulling weeds in an attempt to get a garden started. I accidentally stepped on a snake and thought I killed it. I ignored the snake and continued to pull weeds. Several minutes later, I noticed the snake had disappeared. The snake had faked its death in order to get away from me! A couple of days later I was turning over the soil with a pitchfork and out came the snake attached to the end of my pitchfork…snake kabob. No I didn’t eat this one, but I did put it on display for the other snakes to see. Unfortunately some bird or animal stole it.

So you see, snakes really don’t stand a chance with me.

1 comment:

Mrs Desh said...

You are welcome to come on any and all hikes I take. Yuck.