Sunday, June 21, 2009

I Don't Understand Cats



Most people tend to be either dog or cat persons. Some are both, but generally speaking one usually prefers one species over the other. Being a dog person myself, I must admit cats confuse me. Living with a cat for the first time has been quite educational to say the least.

Ten things that confuse me about cats are:

1. Why don’t cats come when they clearly know I’m calling them?
2. When a cat wants to be petted why does it stand just out of arms reach and do the rub up against me/aren’t I cute/pet me ritual? How long do they think my arms are?
3. After petting a cat for several minutes, why do they find it necessary to take a chomp out of me?
4. Why do cats wipe their noses on me? Do I look like a box of tissue?
5. Is it possible to discipline a cat? They don’t seem to be that intelligent or capable of following direction.
6. If cats know they’re going to barf up fur balls, why don’t they find a different way to groom themselves?
7. When cats talk, why do they sound so pathetic?
8. Do cats think of anything besides: feed me, pet me, play with me, I have to poop, or leave me alone, I’m sleeping?
9. Are cats really loyal? As far as I can tell, they’ll bond with whoever feeds them?
10. Why do cats feel it’s necessary to leave fresh kill just outside your bedroom door? Is it supposed to be a gift or a bragging trophy?

If you’re the kid of person who likes predictability in pets then stick with dogs.

1 comment:

Kimmie said...

Hi Diana;

Hope you find a friend in your *new cat*.

As for me, we have both. A huge dog (a supersized Golden Ret.) and 3 cats...all rescued. Some more loyal than others. The most loyal is our cat Hope. We found her in me mums barn, near death. I named her Hope, because I hoped she would live.

Hope comes when she is called and brings us much joy. Wish I could say that about the dog. I do love dogs, but this one has been a challenge. Even with training classes, he is still not so obedient. sigh.

We are heading out for a vacation-camping with some friends.

Keep posting. I love reading.

How was Sunday School...I expected to see a post.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted