Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cell Phone Etiquette 101

It seems the more time I spend in public place, the less tolerant I become of cell phones. Cell phones have become a real source of annoyance for me even though I find myself relying on their use more frequently with each passing day.

Cell phones annoy me because my peace and quiet is frequently interrupted by a person talking loudly on a cell phone. I don’t know what it is about cell phones that make people talk at levels only the hard of hearing or highly intoxicated communicate at. Maybe we think talking louder will help us hear better.

Cell phones annoy me because I’ve almost been killed by someone driving while holding a cell phone up to their ear.

Cell phones annoy me because they have caused people to be less considerate of others and I’m afraid we’re creating generations of social retards that won’t know how to communicate face-to-face.

I could go on and on listing my annoyances, but I won’t. Maybe there should be an etiquette test people should be required to take before they purchase their first cell phone.

Below are ten cell phone common sense etiquette suggestions that I generally try to keep. Now mind you, I've been guilty of breaking all of these suggestions at one time or another.

1. Talk in a normal tone of voice when there are people sitting or standing anywhere near you. If you can’t do that, then move to a location where your phone call won’t disturb those around you. If that’s not possible, then call the person back when you have more privacy.

2. Put the phone in vibrate mode or turn the ringer volume way down or off in public places. It’s really irritating to hear a cell phone ringer go off when in a library, church, restaurant, movie theater, etc. It’s even worse when the same person’s cell phone goes off repeatedly and they didn’t think to turn the volume down after the first call.

3. Finish your phone call or don’t answer the phone when in a check out line. Not only is it rude to the check out person, but it’s also rude to the people waiting in line. They don’t enjoy waiting any more than you do, so don’t make them wait longer while you juggle your cell phone and try to pay your bill at the same time.

4. Don’t discuss your personal affairs in public. I don’t want to hear about the intimate details of your date or your financial or health condition.

5. Use a hands free device while driving. If you ‘re not good at multi-tasking, this is an especially important suggestion for you.

6. Don’t text and drive. Texting while driving is even more dangerous than not following suggestion #5.

7. Call the person if you have a lengthy text message or have to text more than twice to get your message across. I don’t understand why people spend more time sending texts back and forth when a simple phone call would suffice. This doesn’t apply if you’re just playing around.

8. Let the person you’re currently talking to know ahead of time that you’re expecting a phone call before you rudely answer your cell phone in the middle of your conversation with them. There’s nothing worse than trying to have a conversation with someone who is constantly being interrupted by cell phone calls. Likewise, do the same if you have to make an urgent call. Notice I said urgent.

9. Don’t talk on your cell phone while going potty in a public restroom. People in the stall next to you don’t necessarily want to listen to your conversation. Not to mention it’s just gross because most public restrooms are disgusting.

10. Learn to ignore your cell phone ringer if you are busy. Not everything is urgent. See suggestions 1 through 9 for reasons on why you may not want to answer your call or check your text messages immediately.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well...in CA it is illegal to text and drive. But I find that many people don't heed to that or the hands free thing since just today I have been stuck behind several cars going slow as molasses and their cell phone glued to their ears.

Mama Jenn said...

Hey Di! Guess what!! You have an award! Check it out at: http://mama-jenn.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-very-first-blog-award.html

Kimmie said...

Texting and driving...oh my!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Mama Jenn said...

Di, the other day I was in a store or something and my phone rang. It was so funny, b/c all I could think about was this post. I was trying to talk extra soft as not to be a disruption to others!