Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hazards of Winter

Since moving to New England I’ve had to reacquaint myself with some of the hazards of winter that I’ve long since forgotten. Some hazards I became aware of by trial and error, others by near misses. Here’s what I’ve learned so far.

1. Ice is very slippery. Always hold onto the railing no matter how coordinated you think you might be. A few near wipeouts have utterly convinced me that you can never be too careful. Never try to run on ice...enough said.

2. Icicles are weapons. Beware of falling ice spears that tend to break lose from rooftops unannounced. I’ve almost been decapitated by a few while entering and exiting my apartment. Recently my neighbor got speared by one, leaving a bloody hole on the top of his head.


3. Snow piles obstruct vision. If you thought parking lots were dangerous places to drive in, try driving in them with 10-foot high piles of snow blocking your vision.

4. Slush can ruin good shoes or clothing. There really isn’t any good way to get around slush. Since you have to deal with it, don’t wear pants that are too nice or light colored when you know you have to walk through it. You’ll end up with little brown spots all over the back of your legs.

5. Wet shoes are slippery. Snow is wet and walking in it will make your shoes wet. Doormats are there for a reason. Use them so you don’t end up falling on your tush because your shoes are wet and the floor is tiled.

6. Weather changes frequently. Failing to be aware of approaching snowstorms can leave you unprepared or stranded, not to mention very cold if you didn’t dress accordingly. It’s better to wear too much clothing than not enough. You can be wearing a t-shirt one day and thermals the next, or on the same day for that matter.

7. Snow plows are both fascinating and scary. I’m still not sure if it’s better to be in front of the plow or behind the plow. If you’re in front you don’t have the benefit of the road being plowed. If you’re behind, then you risk having debris hit you as it comes off the plow. Either way, getting too close to the metal monster can’t be all that good.

8. The Internet is a good source of information. I’m still trying to get into the habit of checking for cancellations or delays. Sometimes events are actually cancelled prior to a storm in anticipation of hazardous driving conditions.

9. Cars with snow on them will attack you. Don’t follow too closely behind cars with lots of snow on them. The debris falling off the cars can do damage to your car not to mention scare the daylights out of you.

10. Snow travels. Snow can be picked up from a snow bank by a gust of wind and smack you right in the face. Likewise, it can fall off tree limbs and rooftops and land on your head catching you completely by surprise.

5 comments:

Mrs Desh said...

Funny stuff. Bummer about your neighbor though, ouch. I would seriously consider wearing a steel plate under your hat if I were you. Glad you're back to blogging again, I was missing your humor. :)

Diana said...

For some strange reason, I only feel creative when I have a photo to go with the blog. I dropped my camera in NYC and busted the lens. It took a couple of weeks to get it repaired.

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :)

Jonnique said...

I would never think about such things. We Sandiegans are so spoiled!

Kimmie said...

Diana, wow, you really have put some thought into this winter thing that God has thrown you head first into. A good brush up lesson for me, somehow living here I forget. ;-)

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted