Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lost in Translation?

I was in a shopping mall in Dallas, Texas Monday afternoon and I noticed a store called Japanese Weekend Maternity. I thought what a bizarre name for a store. Maybe I’m just not getting it, but the picture that entered my mind was a bunch of Japanese women that are pregnant only on weekends. My next thought was maybe the person who named the store was one of those people who translates Japanese instructions into English but hadn’t quite mastered the English language yet. Or maybe the saying makes perfect sense in Japanese but when translated into English something gets lost along the way. For the life of me, I really don’t understand the name of this store. It is a store for maternity clothing but the Japanese Weekend thing is seriously throwing me off.

4 comments:

Ann said...

My random thought of the day: is that me hovering behind you in the snorkel pic?

Diana said...

Are you going snorkeling? Or do you want the pic?

Mrs Desh said...

Maybe it's more casual Japanese maternity clothes as opposed to work clothes?? I'm so surprised that you didn't go in and ask. :)

Ann said...

Mrs Desh: You know she would've asked, given the opportunity; however it was after hours & the mall was closed.