Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Southwest, For the Experience

As someone who flies several times a year, mostly for pleasure, I have to say that Southwest Airlines has become one of my favorite airlines to fly for short to mid-range trips. For all you critics out there who think that SWA is too cheap to fly or not high class enough, I disagree. If you’re accustomed to only flying first or business class, then this doesn’t apply to you anyways. But, if you just want to get from point A to point B and have a good experience then hear me out.

I agree that SWA might not be the most convenient if you’re used to assigned seating, however the boarding process is quick and very organized. Personally, I'd rather be a little inconvenienced before the flight than during the flight. In a time when airlines are low-balling the ticket prices to get you to fly them and then turning around and charging you for water and checked luggage, it’s refreshing to fly an airline that still cares about the customer more than the customer’s money.

As I was thinking about my travel experience with them today, I realized that when I fly SWA it’s always an experience. What makes it an experience are the people who work for SWA. They’re happy and they love people. They genuinely want to make your flying experience enjoyable because they take pride in their company.

I think you would agree that flying isn’t what it used to be, but it’s good to know that traveling can still be fun. Whether it’s meeting an owner of a popular barbeque restaurant chain, chatting with a country music band or hearing a bizarre story of a woman getting knocked unconscious by an umbrella during a Nor’easter, I’ve always had a memorable time flying SWA. Today was no exception.

On the last leg of my travel, Captain Al greeted all the passengers as they boarded the plane. Shortly after I found my seat I heard this horrible loud music blasting through the plane. I thought to myself, who the heck has their ipod on full blast and what is that awful music they’re listening to? As I looked around the plane, I realized it was Captain Al playing the harmonica over the PA system. After he finished his song, he introduced himself and assured us that his first mate was taking care of things in the cockpit while he was out talking to us. He also told us that he was a much better pilot than a harmonica player and that he has been a pilot a lot longer than he’s been playing the harmonica…thank goodness. He also had great accolades for the flight crew as he informed us that of over the 50,000 flight attendants working for SWA, the 3 members we had on our flight were nominated as the best crewmembers for the entire airline. After we applauded the crewmembers, Captain Al broke the news to us that they didn’t win.

Like I said, it’s the people that make SWA great. Why would you want to fly on an airline where the staff is cranky, the planes are dirty and they ask you for more money after you get to the airport? Believe me, I ask myself that question every time I fly a different airline. Given the choice, I prefer Southwest.

BTW, Captain Al really is a great pilot. He landed the plane so smoothly I didn’t even realize we were on the ground until we pulled up to the gate.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

I love this! Glad to know that my LUV Airline keeps you happy and entertained...even if you do have to sit in the airport for a few extra hours!

Mrs Desh said...

I think you need to be in their next commercial.

Ann said...

I agree with Mrs Desh - you'd be a great spokesperson. As a matter of fact, one of the girls' in SWA marketing drove me to the airport this week! ...maybe she can pull some strings!

Kimmie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimmie said...

oops...sorry Diana...I hit the delete button.

blushing...

what I said...
"A harmonica playing pilot, an airline you enjoy, a good experience...sounds like a party to me...sign me up. (well except for the no assigned seating, which as a mother to 7 just totally freaks me out when traveling with children).

I love to fly...anyone but AirFrance.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted