Friday, September 18, 2009

I Created a Belly Monster

In my temporary living quarters, I share a house with a funny little canine named Prince. He’s different than most dogs I know in that he doesn’t crave attention like normal dogs. At first I thought he might really be a cat trapped inside a dog’s body because most of the time he acts more like a cat than a dog.

However, I discovered his aloofness is really due to fear of intimacy and I’ve made it my personal goal to help Prince overcome his problem. I’m constantly invading his personal space and forcing him to sit near me while I pet him. Now I’m proud to say that Prince has become a much friendlier and social dog and actually enjoys being around people.

Unfortunately somewhere along the way, I’ve managed to create a Pavlovian Belly Monster. Every time I look at Prince and walk in his direction, he flops down on his side, rolls over on his back, and stares at me hoping for a belly rub. It’s quite hilarious actually, but I really don’t understand why his little brain hasn’t figured out that he doesn’t have to flop over like a dead fish to get attention. Fortunately he doesn’t do this with anyone but me. I wonder what the Dog Whisperer would have to say about my predicament?

2 comments:

Ann said...

I've always said you're the Pied Piper to children & animals. This applies. Maybe you next job is a doggy daycare that also houses children.

Connie said...

I love your WMD acronym! We haven't had any rodents, but are prepared with 3 junior (quickly growing) WMDs of the feline persuasion, one of which is also a belly monster. Rather than flopping on the floor though, he'll get me when I'm in a chair... he'll climb to my shoulder and dive down into my lap/arms, with toes up, belly ready for rubbing. I think we forgot to tell him he's a cat. (btw, I wandered over here from Kimmie's blog)