Sunday, February 8, 2009

Conversations with a Texan Experiencing Winter in New England for the First Time

Last week I had a dear friend from Dallas visit me for a few days. This was her first winter experience anywhere north of Dallas, where temperatures seldom get below freezing and snow is a rarity. Even though I’m still re-adjusting to the climate myself, it was still fun to experience winter from her perspective. Below are a couple of snippets from our conversations.

Day 1 – While driving home from the airport

Tex: “OMG, there’s snow on the ground! I wasn’t expecting that.”
Yank: “That generally happens after it snows.”
Tex: “But there’s so much of it. It’s everywhere.”
Yank: “What were you expecting?”
Tex: “I don’t know. It didn’t occur to me that the snow wouldn’t melt. Snow doesn’t last in Texas.”
Yank: “I guess it wouldn’t.”
Tex: “What’s that brown stuff on the side of the road?”
Yank: “Dirty snow.”
Tex: “Why does it get like that?”
Yank: “From the dirty roads, cars and snow plows.”
Tex: “Oh.”

Day 2 – During a snowstorm in Mystic, CT

Tex: “Look how much snow there is. We’re in white out conditions.”
Yank: “No it’s not a white out. It’s just snowing and a little windy.”
Tex: “This isn’t a white out?”
Yank: “No, we can still see pretty far. We’re no where close to white out conditions.”
Tex: “We’re the only ones visiting Mystic Seaport right now. I haven’t seen anyone else except the people that work here.”
Yank: “I guess we’re the only ones that don’t have any common sense.”
Tex: “This is fun, isn’t it?”
Yank: “Yeah, it really is.”

Day 3 – While Shoveling and Sledding in the Woods

Yank: “Do you want to help me shovel a path on my patio?”
Tex: “Yes.”
Tex: “Why do you need to shovel a path on your patio?”
Yank: “So I don’t have to walk in the snow and get my shoes wet when I take the trash out.”
Tex: “Oh.”
Yank: “Great job on the patio. Do you want to help me shovel around my car?"
Tex: “No.”

…after shoveling

Yank: “Are you ready to go sledding?
Tex: “Yeah, what do we need to do?”
Yank: “Put on some snow gear.”

…a few minutes later

Tex: “My goodness, I got a workout just by putting on all the clothing. I’m tired already.”
Yank: “It’s a little more involved that grabbing a jacket and heading out the door, isn’t it?”
Tex: “What do we do now?”
Yank: “Grab the sled and go outside.”
Tex: “That’s it?”
Yank: “Yup. We can sled right here in the yard or if you’re game for it, we can hike into the woods and sled down a bigger hill.”
Tex: “Let’s do the bigger hill.”

…after our first run

Tex: “That was so much fun. I’ve never been sledding like that before.”
Yank: “Yeah, that time at Big Bear didn’t really count because the hill was only 10 feet long.”
Tex: “Phew, It’s a lot work walking back up the hill.”
Yank: “It’s the Connecticut version of going to the gym.”

Day 4 – Boston, MA, Sightseeing in 15-degree temperature with a wind chill factor of 3-degrees


Tex: “I think I have frost bite.”
Yank: “We haven’t been outside long enough for you to get frost bite.”
Tex: “I’m too cold to walk the freedom trail.”
Yank: “Me too.”
Tex: “I’m really cold. I really don’t have to see Boston today. I can come back in a couple of months when it’s warmer.”
Yank: “Are you ready to go home?”
Tex: “Yes please.”


Day 5 – New York City, Walking to the Met

Tex: “I don’t feel as cold as yesterday. This isn’t bad at all.”
Yank: “That’s because it’s twice as warm today. It’s in the 30’s.”
Tex: “I never thought I’d think the 30’s would feel warm.”



Thanks my friend, for a wonderful visit and allowing me to observe winter through southern eyes.

6 comments:

Mrs Desh said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast in the cold. IIII am inside my 70 degree house eating warm brownies and milk and thinking of you. Mmmm...Watching the Grammies, too. Coldplay is cleaning up. Everytime I see them perform that Viva la Vida song, I wish I were the guy banging on the congo drum thing and the big bell. Such a fun song...

Jonnique said...

Di, you are just hilarious. The Yank and Tex conversations had me cracking up! I loved it and thanks for sharing.

Catherine said...

I love my sister! Great post, Di!

Kimmie said...

Funny to hear both of you, as I have lived her all of my life. I am thinking this was the warmest winters we've had in YEARS.

Your sledding sounds like fun...through the woods and all!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Mrs Desh said...

Great pics, btw. I love the lighthouse and especially the one of Ann-cicle. Too cute.

Gigi said...

ROFL