Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bee Chronicles – Part 4. Pests or Pets?

I’ve grown quite accustomed to being greeted by Scout each morning as I sit out on the deck and read. I find myself being disappointed if he’s not out there to greet me. I think we’ve come to a mutual understanding as far as human and bee brains can connect. We’ve decided to share the back deck in harmony. On most days, I’m able to enjoy my morning word time without interruption. Occasionally, he may slip up, but a quick swat with my bible is all he needs to remind him of our arrangement. Surprisingly, it took only a couple of days for Scout to succumb to my authority. I have to give his little bee brain credit for being a fast learner.

I’ve come to think of them as my backyard, no maintenance pets. I don’t have to feed or pet them. They go to bed when it’s dark and stay inside when it’s raining. However, they do leave their wood shavings lying around and I do end up picking up after them. And every so often, I find it necessary to bang on the railing to wake them up.

For bees' sake, I’m sure glad my landlord decided to do nothing about my destructive little pets so I can enjoy them for a little while longer.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I think the Dog Whisperer says that you have to tell 'em who's boss, who's the King of the Castle! Keep it up! This is probably the only pet you haven't been allergic to?! Yea! We found a winner!